Print ad for novel, late '90s. |
The Greek Orthodox church of St. Nicholas pictured in the foreground and built in 1820, was destroyed along with the World Trade Center. Each January 6 (Day of Epiphany) for over a hundred years, the chapel observed the ceremony of the Rescue of the Cross. A small wooden crucifix was thrown into the harbor from the Battery landing to be rescued by the most agile Greek youth. In 1937 the waters were deemed to cold for swimming and the cross was thereafter drawn to shore by a white ribbon attached to it.
Return to Afterimages